Akademikerhilfe was founded on 21st November 1921 on the initiative of Prelate Karl Rudolf, pastor at the Viennese universities. The association was intended to take on tasks from the welfare department at the Catholic German Academics’ Committee, above all supporting students with clothing campaigns, awarding scholarships and creating accommodation. The inaugural meeting was also attended by the Archbishop of Vienna, Cardinal Piffl, who assumed the protectorate for the association. The Archbishop has been the protector of our association ever since.
The first student residence places were created in monasteries, institutes and private households. In 1924, Akademikerhilfe already had over 150 residential options, which were extremely in demand. The first of the association’s “own” student residences was opened in 1927 (Viennese Home), followed by the residence at Pfeilgasse 6 in 1932.
Akademikerhilfe acted as a trustee for other student residence organisations in the years 1934 to 1938. On 13th March 1938, just after what was known as the “annexation” of Austria to Hitler’s Germany, the residences were taken over by the NSDAP, with the mandatory dissolution of Akademikerhilfe following this in May 1939.
After the end of the war in October 1945, former association members submitted an application to annul the association dissolution that took place in 1939, which was approved. And so it was possible to once again hold a constituent assembly for the association on 11th November 1946.
As in the period after the 1st World War, Akademikerhilfe attempted to alleviate the severest needs of students with accommodation in private quarters, arranging secondary employment, and food and clothing campaigns in the years 1946 to 1949. The association already once again had around 300 residential places in Vienna, Graz and Leoben in 1949.
It was possible to continually increase the number of student residence places on offer. Akademikerhilfe currently manages 4,335 residence places in 35 residences in eight Austrian cities.